It’s January in South Florida which means in my house it MIGHT be cool enough outside to feel like making a pot of soup. Since the weather was cooperating this week, it seemed the perfect time to make one of my favorite pairings… tomato soup and grilled cheese! This recipe is super easy and includes a few shortcuts. Enjoy!
Ingredients for the Soup:
- 2 jars of your favorite tomato basil sauce (Trader Joe’s is my fave)
- 1 1/2 cartons low sodium chicken stock
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 stick butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 stevia packets (more or less to taste)
- half and half, to taste
- 2 tsp herbes de provence
- 1 tbs garlic salt
Directions for the Soup:
- Sauté onion in butter over medium low heat in large soup pot. Cook until onion is clear.
- Add flour and cook 3-4 minutes until the butter and flour combine.
- Stir in tomato sauce, chicken stock, garlic salt, and herbes de provence.
- Add stevia to taste. (The sweetness cuts the acidity of the tomatoes.)
- Simmer over low heat for 30 minutes.
- Take off the heat and let the soup cool until just warm. (If the soup is too hot, the half and half will separate.)
- Add half and half to taste. (I usually add about 2 cups.)
- Use an immersion blender or a standard blender to puree the soup to your desired consistency.
You just can’t have tomato soup without a grilled cheese sandwich! My favorite way to make grilled cheese is with crusty rosemary sourdough and sharp cheddar cooked on the panini machine… (Still our best wedding present after 15 years!)