This is what my Mom always called stroganoff. If you look at traditional recipes, it really isn’t stroganoff at all. But, it is delicious, fast, has all the food groups, and makes a great weekday meal. Now I have to make a double portion because the boys will scarf it and I like to have some for leftovers. This is one of those meals that we used to teach the boys about the power of the combo bite. If you get a little bit of everything on your fork, you won’t be left with an overwhelming pile of peas at the end and lose out on dessert. An important life lesson, I think. Enjoy!
Not So Turkey Stroganoff
- 2lbs ground turkey or beef
- 1 box bite size pasta (Rigatoni is my favorite)
- 1 small tub reduced fat sour cream
- 1 small bag frozen peas
- ½ T garlic salt
- 1 T oregano
- 1 T basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook pasta al dente and set aside
- Brown turkey in a large skillet over medium heat. Drain excess fat
- Add in sour cream and spices and let it melt in
- Add in noodles and however many peas (still frozen) you can get away with before your kids won’t eat it
- Cook until peas warm up over low heat.
- Adjust seasoning (I usually end up adding a little more garlic salt)